If you’re looking for a thorough Link Whisper review, you’re in the right place. In December 2019, I spent my own money to purchase Link Whisper. This was a Christmas gift to myself because I was so excited about this software. Now, I’ve been using it for a few months, and I want to tell you whether or not I think it’s worth it.
In this Link Whisper review, I’ll tell you:
- What is is
- How it works
- What it does (both good and bad)
- What others are saying
- My recommendation
- and, I’ll do a demo to show you how I’ve been using it
Before I get started, I want to tell you about internal linking and why I’d consider buying this for myself for Christmas. Hahaha.
- 1 Why Internal Links are Important
- 2 How I Found Link Whisper
- 3 What is Link Whisper? An Overview
- 4 How Does Link Whisper Work?
- 5 How Do I Get Started with Link Whisper?
- 6 Who is Link Whisper For?
- 7 Link Whisper Tools & Training
- 8 Link Whisper Support
- 9 What Does Link Whisper Do Well
- 10 What Doesn’t Link Whisper Do Well
- 11 Link Whisper Review Roundup
- 12 Link Whisper Price
- 13 My Final Opinion of Link Whisper
- 14 VERDICT: Recommended
- 15 Link Whisper - Internal Linking Software
- 16 Pros
- 17 Cons
Why Internal Links are Important
Any expert in search engine optimization will tell you that internal links are important. Google uses bots to identify content online, and they use links as a part of their ranking algorithm to determine which content is most important on various subjects.
They want to see that:
- People in your industry are quoting you as an authority and linking to you
- You’re an authority in the topic you write on
- That you’re not quickly sending people away to other sites (because it looks like you don’t have value on your own site when you do that)
- and, when you link your articles to other relevant articles on your website, it shows that you have lots of relevant things to say about the topic
Think about it in an offline sense, when you go to an industry event and you see the speakers, you automatically expect that they are authorities on the topic because:
- They have a lot to say about it
- Others respect what they have to say
- and, They appear well known in the industry
Google is trying to categorize and rank the most valuable content online based on algorithms that would identify the same offline principles in the online world.
The problem is that after you’ve created a lot of content, you might forget all the posts you have and what’s relevant to what! For me, I’d also write a blog post and add links to other articles I wrote, but I might forget to add links from other articles back to the new post, so when Google crawls my website, they wouldn’t think the new post is important–this negatively impacts rankings and traffic.
How I Found Link Whisper
I love Spencer Haw’s blog: Niche Pursuits. He’s built alot of niche websites monetized by Amazon Affiliates and Google Adsense, and he created the keyword research tool called “Long Tail Pro”. It’s one of the top keyword research tools in the market.
Now, he’s exited from Long Tail Pro. He only owns a minority stake in the business, and he’s moved onto a new project: Link Whisper. I was really impressed with Spencer Haws and his:
- His blog and podcast
- and contribution to the Affiliate Marketing industry
When I saw Link Whisper, it was pretty exciting. It addressed a problem I have daily when I’m working on SEO. I love having internal links, but I have a hard time doing it well.
What is Link Whisper? An Overview
Link Whisper is a WordPress plugin that helps to improve your on-page search engine optimization by suggesting relevant internal links on your pages and posts.
How Does Link Whisper Work?
Once you check out with Link Whisper, you’ll be given a license or licenses (depending on which package you choose). You’ll need to log onto your WordPress dashboard, install the plugin, and activate the license key.
Once the license key is activated, Link Whisper adds an additional editing block to each page and post of your website, and you’ll have a Link Whisper tab on your WordPress dashboard.
How Do I Get Started with Link Whisper?
To get started, you can either go to the Link Whisper tab or click on one of your posts. Within the tab, it will have a table that shows you how many external links, internal links going to, and internal links coming from each page, post, and category you have.
You’ll see which posts have very little (or no) internal links pointing to them–these should probably be your highest priority if you’re trying to rank for something. If you’re posts or pages don’t have any links pointing towards them, it signals Google (and other search engines) that the content isn’t that important in context with your website.
When Link Whisper shows you the pages with no internal links, you should click the tab “add” and Link Whisper will suggest content that would be relevant for internal linking based on what you have on your site.
Who is Link Whisper For?
Link Whisper is for:
- Content marketers who use search engine optimization to drive traffic
- Those who know they struggle with adding internal links into their content
- Those who own websites or plan to own websites that will use search engine optimization for traffic
Link Whisper Tools & Training
Link Whisper is fairly easy to use, however, there are tutorials on the Link Whisper website that you can use to clarify things. You can check out the tutorials here.
Link Whisper Support
Link Whisper offers support thru a ticketing system. If you have any trouble with the plugin or you have questions, you can place a support ticket easily here.
What Does Link Whisper Do Well
- Link whisper makes it very easy to add internal links pointing to and from content on your website
- It detects relevant content that you might not even think of
- It’s very easy to use
- The reporting and graphs are very helpful to visualize your internal linking strategy
What Doesn’t Link Whisper Do Well
- Sometimes, it will suggest relevant content based on a keyword and it could be on your homepage or somewhere you don’t want an internal link
- It suggests content based on keyword relevance, but sometimes, there may be content that might add more value to your reader, so use discretion
Link Whisper Review Roundup
Here is a compilation of what others had to say about Link Whisper…
Common Positive Feedback
- I highly recommend it
- Saves me so much time
- I have a lot of blog posts and forget what content is relevant, so this helps me a lot
- I’ve used several others that are supposed to do this, and this one is the best
- I saw my site health skyrocket in AHRefs as a result of this tool
- My traffic went up because I got more rankings after using this tool
Common Negative Feedback
I read comments to blog posts about Link Whisper and this is the negative feedback I was able to find. Commenters said:
- I wish I could manually add links for suggestion on posts
- I’ve had a hard time using the plugin with Elementor or Thrive Architect
It was no way to verify they had actually purchased the software before posting their complaints. I haven’t had a similar experience with the software, so take it with a grain of salt.
Most Helpful Positive Link Whisper Review
It still gets a huge tick for providing a direct solution to a BIG problem for bloggers, which is ensuring that older content links to newer content. Even after only a small period of experimentation for my Link Whisper review, I’ve seen enough of a positive impact on my site to continue using it.
Ben Taylor, HomeworkingClub.com
Most Helpful Negative Link Whisper Review
I have and use Link Whisper from the beginning. It is a good tool that gets more and more features and improvements. What I would like to see is a manual way to add a link to their suggestion list. Now there is just a drop-down with some suggestions, I would like to add my own link because most of the time the tool is suggesting wrong posts that have nothing to do with the context where the link will be placed.
George, Youtube Commenter
Link Whisper Price
Link Whisper is available as a single site license, a 3-site license, or a 10-site license. For the single site license, it is $47/yr. For the 3-site license, it’s $67/yr, and for the 10-site license, it’s $147/yr.
My Final Opinion of Link Whisper
I’ve used Link Whisper for the last two months and I’m very impressed with how much easier it’s been for me to add internal links into my posts. I noticed this month that I’d hit my hosting’s plan cap before the middle of the month. In previous months, I’ve hit the cap on the last day or so of my billing cycle, but considering that my cap has been hit in the beginning of the month, I know I’ll definitely have to upgrade my plan.
I also see that my # of impressions is significantly higher and I’m ranking for more keywords. I’ve seen an incline in traffic, and I know a part of why I’m seeing that is because I’ve been paying closer attention to internal linking, making it easier for people to find relevant content on my website.
Spencer Haws has a very good reputation when it comes to software and products he creates, and this product seems to add to that. I haven’t personally had to use the support function, so that’s not something I can comment on at this time.
If you’re looking for an easier way to add internal links to your site to improve SEO, ranking, and traffic, I highly recommend Link Whisper.
Popular Link Whisper Alternatives
A powerful SEO tool that's commonly used to audit on-page SEO and help plan effective SEO strategies.
An SEO tool I personally use every day. It's most used to plan an off page SEO strategy: identify keywords and competition, track rankings, and perform competitor analysis in the search results.
A great SEMRush or AHRefs alternative and a cost-effective way to do your own SEO audit, look for broken links and errors, and track your on-page SEO site health.
Link Whisper - Internal Linking Software$47
- You can add internal links very efficiently
- The software is getting lots of new updates and features
- The software creator has a great reputation with making good products
- It can help boost SEO, traffic, and even sales (if done right)
- Great pricing
- It doesn't always get the context right with suggested links